Bus stop shelters are incredibly vital to the public transportation experience as they allow commuters to wait for their ride in a safe and secure location. Every great bus shelter has these seven characteristics that aid in quality wait time. Keep reading to learn about these fantastic features.
What Is a Bus Stop Shelter?
A bus stop shelter is a prefabricated enclosure that provides a secure location for people to wait for their bus. Depending on the surrounding area, bus stop shelters come in different sizes to accommodate various needs and numbers of people. In addition, the enclosure improves the public transportation experience as commuters have a waiting space that shields them from environmental elements like harsh sun or rain.
Benefits of a Bus Stop Shelter
The primary purpose of this enclosure is to safeguard commuters from weather conditions and offer people a place to rest. However, bus stop shelters provide additional benefits that you should know. Check out these fantastic advantages of a bus stop shelter:
- Attracts people to specific areas. Every area isn’t car-friendly, so people use public transit to commute to different places. And with a shelter, people know that they have a secure spot to wait for their ride. This factor increases the likelihood of commuters returning to the area.
- Encourages people to use public transit. People want a quality transit experience, and bus stop shelters offer individuals safety and security. And with peace of mind, commuters will consider public transit as their main method of transportation.
- Easy to install and instantly accessible. One of the best things about bus stop shelters is that they’re simple to install. So, when a local government or business owner purchases one, people can immediately access them.
- Offers advertising opportunities. Advertising shelters allow business owners to display a print ad on the enclosure. This 24/7 ad space opportunity offers brand exposure to a wide audience!
7 Characteristics of a Great Bus Shelter
Government officials or business owners purchase bus stop shelters for public usage. It is vital that the prefabricated enclosures possess these seven characteristics:
An excellent bus stop shelter has high-quality, sturdy materials built to last a long time. In addition, these enclosures should withstand the effects of UV rays, wind, rain, and snow without rusting or corroding. To ensure high-quality construction, prospective buyers should seek excellent manufacturers like Handi-Hut! Our prefabricated aluminum shelters are highly durable, customizable, and built to last.
Fulfill a Purpose
Bus stop shelters should fulfill a purpose and accommodate the demands of commuters. For example, a large waiting shelter is ideal for busy cities or high foot traffic areas because people are likely to use the enclosure. Essentially, placing bus shelters in popular sites will allow it to fulfill its purpose of offering suitable waiting spaces for commuters.
Placements of waiting shelters aren’t helpful if public transit is not in the area. Therefore, a good location is another characteristic of a great bus shelter. After all, why would a commuter wait in an enclosure that’s not near a transit stop? In addition, the enclosure should be easily accessible, non-intrusive on walkways, and have clear entry and exit points.
Bus stop shelters can include accessories such as trash cans and ashtrays that people can utilize. These accessories will cut down on littering, which helps the enclosure stay clean. Besides, no one wants to sit in an unsanitary waiting shelter or one filled with trash.
People need to see when their bus is coming. Poorly designed enclosures obstruct views of incoming buses, forcing people to leave the shelter to watch for approaching rides. Well-designed waiting shelters allow people to see incoming buses without stepping into traffic or blocking pedestrian walkways.
Comfortable and Secure
People need a comfortable, safe, and secure place to sit and wait for their bus ride. Seating is highly important because it adds to the comfort aspect. For safety and security, enclosures with lighting are essential for nighttime waiting. In addition, a central location (around businesses or residential areas) is also an ideal spot for bus stop shelters. This enables reassurance that commuters are not alone in an area.
As previously mentioned, a good bus stop shelter will last a long time. Along with this factor, waiting enclosures are also easy to maintain. If parts need replacing or fixing, you won’t need to dismantle the entire shelter. Bus stop shelters should also have chip-proof and rust-proof features that can withstand environmental elements without hindering their appearance.
Other Features That Can Enhance a Bus Stop Shelter
- Signage: Bus schedules, maps, and route information can give passengers an estimated time of the next bus arrival. It’s important to note that signage should not obstruct views of approaching buses.
- Proper lighting: The right lighting can reduce vandalism and crime. Overall, it makes commuters feel safer waiting in the enclosure.
- USB charging ports: Many people carry smart devices like cell phones and computers. Passengers can plug in their devices to make their waiting time productive.
- Heaters: For colder months and chilly nights, infrared heaters will keep passengers warm while waiting for their ride.
- Seating or leaning rails: Seating and railings allow people to rest before riding the bus.
Why Should You Invest in a Handi-Hut Bus Stop Shelter?
- Handi-Hut manufactures enclosures with superior quality, versatility, and easy, low-cost assembly. We can work with almost any budget on any site!
- Bus stop shelters give people a suitable waiting space, making it easy for bus drivers to pick up their passengers.
- Waiting enclosures encourage people to use buses rather than drive. This promotes sustainable commuting and eco-friendly traveling!
- Bus stop shelters can enhance the surrounding area. And with modern designs, the enclosures can match aesthetics and make spaces more visually pleasing.
Every great bus shelter has these seven characteristics that enable people to sit and wait for their bus ride. Good shelters improve the public transit experience, and commuters always feel safe utilizing the enclosure. If you’re interested in purchasing this type of enclosure, you should contact Handi-Hut. As pioneers of prefabricated aluminum bus stop shelters, we can manufacture a waiting enclosure that fits your needs! If you have any questions, please contact us at (973)-614-1800.